Saturday, April 26, 2003

I had a couple of strange dreams about Singapore over the past week - one just last night.

The first one - and this was about five days ago - started with me being in Singapore and hearing the news that the island was flooding. I'm in some high-rise building or another, and I look out the window, and sure enough, the road outside is submerged and the water levels seem to be rising. What's more, the water is icy cold, so that if you try to stay in it for more than a few minutes, you'll die a frozen death like Leonardo DeCaprio in Titanic (don't ask me how I knew this). So I start to flee, and then by that miraculous mode of transportation that seems to exist in dreams, I'm near the Singapore River, and the whole place is sloshing in water, and I'm desperately trying to climb this tower or something to get away from it. I don't think I really felt scared, though. People I knew (I can't remember who they were now) were with me and were also trying to escape. Then smash cut, we're in some hotel, trying to book tickets for the night, convinced that we're going to be safe from the floods there. The hotel is really nice - plush carpets, expensive antiques, the works. I'm frantically trying to negotiate the payment with the receptionist. Finally, we get a room, and then the waters break into the building. We run up the stairs. For some reason, I'm convinced that this is the tallest structure in Singapore, and that we're bound to be safe if we keep climbing. Running. More running. And then I wake up.

Second dream. I'm back home, in a hospital. Jiahao is there, working, and I think that's the reason why I'm there. I'm looking at some huge posters of human anatomy and physiology. We're waiting for Choonping. When he arrives, he seems really surprised to see me, because apparently, I haven't told him that I was going to be home (which I haven't, btw). We head off and land up in (I think) the Victoria Theater, except that there's a McDonald's where the box office should be. There's an extended, and rather complicated segment, where we all buy cheeseburgers. We go into the theater, and the lights dim. All of a sudden, I freeze up with uncertainty. Something is not right. I don't remember taking my final exams for this semester. I think about it even harder, and then realize that I didn't pack away any of my stuff for storage either. Is all my stuff still in my room? Nor do I remember my plane ride home. I feel really baffled, and then there's this extremely bizarre moment where I start wondering if I'm in reality or a dream...and convince myself that what I'm experiencing is real. I swear...for one heartstopping moment, in my dream I'm positive that what's happening to me is real. It's very frightening Then I snap out of it. No way, I say. No way is this happening. I've got to wake up. Got to wake up.

And I wake up.

Clearly, detox is once more in order.

No comments: