Sunday, November 16, 2003

I just found about 5 more forms that I have to fill in for my study abroad next semester that I had no idea even existed. It's almost as if Duke admin purposely hides things from you in the hope that you'll screw up.

I have changed my mind again with my last 2 applications: I have decided to do Yale and JHU instead of MIT and JHU. I will just have to live with the fact that the research in Yale is not entirely related to mine and go for a slightly different angle in my personal statement. Their clinical program really is too delicious, and MIT is just a little too ridiculous for my taste, all things considered. I mean, come on, they call their buildings by number instead of name.

From Travels With Charley, on diaspora
The place of my origin had changed, and having gone away I had not changed with it. In my memory it stood as it once did and its outward appearance confused and angered me.

What I am about to tell must be the experience of many in this nation where so many wander and come back, I called on old and valued friends. I thought their hair had receded a little more than mine. The greetings were enthusiastic. The memories flooded up. Old crimes and old triumphs were brought out and dusted. And suddenly my attention wandered, and looking at my ancient friend, I saw that his wandered also. And it was true what I said to Johnny Garcia - I was the ghost. My town had grown and changed and my friend along with it. Now, returning, as changed to my friend as my town was to me, I distored his picture, muddied his memory. When I went away, I had died, and so became fixed and unchangeable. My return caused only confusion and uneasiness. Although they could not say it, my old friends wanted me fone so that I could take my proper place in the pattern of remembrance - and I wanted to go for the same reason. Tom Wolfe was right. You can't go home again because home has ceased to exist except in the mothballs of memory.

No comments: