Saturday, September 16, 2006

it continues to amaze me that there is such a wide variety of quite decent food within a three block radius of my apartment. on 42nd and chestnut is a place called kabobeesh, a converted american diner that now sells fairly authentic tandoori and naan. admittedly, there could have been more meat, but it was the real stuff, and at $9, enough for two meals. next to it is a little indian minimart type thing that has such wonders as curry powder, gaulb jamun, frozen roti, basmati rice, maggi stock cubes, and horlicks. also: about eight shelves of bollywood vcds, which interested me not.

in other news, my kitchen looks more like a kitchen now, in that it actually has food in it, and things with which i can cook said food. this is good news for my body, which has probably doubled in sodium content since i got here, despite my best efforts. (how do americans not die at the age of 25?) i also am the proud owner of my first ever potato peeler (su-lin will attest to the fact that i had never used one before that last party with the gumbo and "fried""chicken"), which i will use with gusto, once i have some potatoes.

No comments: