Tuesday, February 08, 2005

recap

In all fairness, office life is several degrees east of tolerable, thanks largely to (a) long lunches, (b) strong coffee, and (c) colleagues who (on the large part) just want to make an honest day's wage (Is that supremely naive? Are office politics inevitable?). Things are benign enough that I can coast, which is good in one way, but bad in another - loss of momentum can be a killer.

*


I'd not mentioned actual work much in this blog because I thought it a rather dull topic, but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give a rundown of my JD.

1) Ridicule of ineptitude in writing
(I can't give examples for fear of prosecution, but if you've received my emails you'll know what I'm talking about.)

2) Arranging for meetings to discuss Nothing Of Any Particular Importance

3) Attending said meetings

4) Coordinating a project to discover why the company, staff population 12,000, has such swelling ranks of underperforming middle management, and what the hell can be done about it

5) Poking around at other people's salaries, and wondering why I don't get paid that much, or if I ever will. (Hint: No)

6) Deleting spam mail from the company inbox

7) Smiling at my boss and telling him that he has Excellent Ideas, Most Excellent Indeed

8) Thinking about resigning, and going quietly insane while doing so

No comments: