Saturday, June 19, 2004

food

It’s kind of funny how Singaporeans are so opinionated about their food, how everyone seems so cocksure that they know where to find the “best” chicken rice/ char kway teow/ sambal stingray etc., particularly when half the time they’re dead wrong. Countless times I have been dragged along to obscure food centers in all corners of the island by friends dying to have me try various recommendations, and I am seldom impressed. Surely people realize by now that they don’t so much have “favorites” as “familiars”? I’m going to pick on Shaun here (apologies, but it’s just because this is the most recent example that springs to mind) – he and his mom quite passionately believe that the best chili crab in Singapore is to be had one of the restaurants along the ECP (I’ll leave it unnamed), the reason being that they are on good terms with the owner and get the dish as a special order - sans tomato sauce. No, that doesn’t make it the best chili crab, it just means that you happen to like it that way. Thus, while “best of” discussions have been fun, I have decided to refrain from them henceforth. That should save me a lot of dashed hopes.

No comments: