Monday, February 12, 2007

i liked this little scene from danny boyle's millions (conceit: the kid talks with dead saints):


DAMIAN
St. Peter! Died A.D. 64?

ST PETER
All right, don't remind us.

DAMIAN
The money...it's robbed.

ST PETER
I know. Patron saint of keys, locks and general security, man. Including up there. I'm on the door.

DAMIAN
Is it still all right? If it's robbed? Can you still do good with it? Or should you give it back? I thought it was a miracle. But it's just robbed.

ST. PETER
Damian, listen. One day I was with you-know-who. Jesus. And he went up into the mountains and thousands of people followed him. The police said five thousand. Pfft...five thousand.

DAMIAN
Everybody knows this story. Loaves and fishes.

ST. PETER
See, I knew you'd say that. That's what everybody says ... Anyway, this kid comes up to us. About your size. His name was...no, I've forgotten. I still see him sometimes. Anyway, he comes up with these loaves and fishes. Sardines. And Jesus blesses them and passes the plate round. Now the first person he passes it to passes it on. He doesn't take anything, he just passes it on. D'you know why?

DAMIAN shakes his head.

ST PETER
'Cos he had a piece of lamb hidden in his pocket. And as he's passing the fish, he sneaks a piece of meat out, and pretends he's taken it off the plate. D'you see what I'm saying? And the next person: exactly the same story. Every single bastard one of them has their own food. And every one of them's keeping it quiet, looking after number one. But as that plate went around with the sardines on it, they all got their own food out and started to share. And then, that plate went all the way around and back to Jesus, and it'd still got the fish and the loaves on it. I think Jesus was a bit taken aback. He says: 'What happened?'. And I just says: 'Miracle!' And at first, I thought I'd fooled him. But now I see it was a miracle. One of his best. But this little kid had stood up, and everybody there just...got bigger. Do you understand what I'm talking about?

DAMIAN
Not really.

ST PETER
I'm talking about you.

DAMIAN
Now I'm really lost.

ST PETER
You're trying too hard. That kid -- he wasn't planning on doing a miracle. He was planning on anything. Except lunch. Something that looks like a miracle turns out to be dead simple.

No comments: