Friday, July 21, 2006

at haagen dazs

(-- where the brother and i went last night after waiting in vain for a table at bakerzin. it's $4.50 for a single scoop and $6.70 for a double, prices i would pay for no flavour other than midnight cookies and cream, the only sin that justifies such extravagance.)

(this, btw, was a fairly extended discussion which i condense for clarity:)

me: so can i get a double scoop and have you split them into 2 extra cups?
counter guy: sure!
[cashier then proceeds to try and charge me for 2 single scoops]
me: no, i don't want two single scoops, i want a double scoop in 2 cups.
cashier: i'm afraid we can't do that
me: well can i just get a double scoop and pay for an extra cup then?
cashier: i have to ask my manager.
me: you can even have the wafer back.
cashier: i have to ask my manager.
me: this is not that hard. i want you to sell me a double scoop and an extra cup (subtext: which costs you 0.24 cents to make)
cashier: i have to ask my manager.
[manager arrives]
me: i want to get two scoops, in two cups, and be charged for a double scoop
manager: i'm sorry, we can't do that.
me: well, that's ok, because now i'm not going to get any scoops. goodbye.

i really don't understand why this is such a constant problem in this damn country -- i mean, i'm not much of a businessman, but let's think about this for a second.

Option #1: Sell the customer what he wants at the same fucking inflated price you would have originally, minus the cost of a paper cup, or
Option #2: Make no money at all.

now, i know what i would choose, but who knows, maybe there's some top secret sales strategy they teach you in nus business school that the rest of us just don't know about.

No comments: