Thursday, June 02, 2005

hitchhiker's guide

To be frank, I didn't much care for it.

1. Arthur Dent was too...sane. In the book, you got the sense that AD's head was always about five seconds away from imploding. I know CP is going to hate me for saying this, but I think I would have preferred someone like Bill Murray in the role, 'cos Martin Freeman just didn't carry it for me.

2. I really wanted the zany bits to be over the top, and they weren't. The one movie where they can legitimately smear cheese over everything, and they miss their chance.

3. It was too glossy. I guess I was expecting something like the Monty Python movies where there's this underlying sense of fakeness. Is it legitimate to complain that the production value of a movie is too high? Marvin was perfectly tacky, though. Oh, and so was the whale. More of the show should have felt that way.

4. I'm not sure what the Guide looked like in my mind, but it certainly did not look like That. (Concession: 10/10 for Stephen Fry's narration)

Oh well.

No comments: