Tuesday, December 09, 2003

Ah yes, that old primary school feeling of exams being over. Philo. of bio exam was OK, a few curve balls but otherwise a fairly reasonable paper. Finished it by 11 and went out to the mall to spend my Waldenbooks voucher. Decided (partly because of a recommendation from Minz) to get Haruki Murakami's After the Quake. He's written a bunch of other books which I shall peruse if this one is good. Just being at the mall infected me with a rabid case of consumerism, and in the spirit of this, here's my Christmas List (2003);

1) DVDs...any are good, but my top 5 right now are
(a) Pirates of the Caribbean
(b) Pulp Fiction
(c) Forrest Gump
(d) The Lion King
(e) The West Wing Season 1 Boxed Set.

2) Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando for the PS2

3) Sandman:Endless Nights by Neil Gaiman

4) an IPod

5) Tooth whitener (that actually works)

6) A nice pair of black dress pants

7) 20 GB of extra memory for my hard drive

8) A 256 MB memory card for my Palm Pilot.

9) A tie with a design on it that's not
(a) violently purple or
(b) covered with cartoons

10) Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men

Any generous soul willing to provide any of these items should e-mail me ASAP to get a shipping address.

Spent half the afternoon in the Regulator reading Daniel Wallace's Big Fish over cups of coffee. This was the first time in forever that I've got to read a book cover to cover in one sitting, and it made me very happy indeed. The book caught my eye because of the trailer I saw for the movie based on it. Ewan McGregor! Anyway, the trailer was rather incomprehensible until I read the thing and realized that it was a series of vignettes narrated by a son mythologizing his father. The story and structure are quite original, and Wallace sets up the contrast between adulation and reality well - it's not overly maudlin, and the humor is just right, not over the top. I approve.

Anyway, enough jabbering. I need to get packed.

No comments: